Friday, December 27, 2013

31ST


New Years Eve is in four days, and I could not be happier that 2013 is coming to an end.  I've always had a slightly obsessive-compulsive issue with years that end in odd numbers. They really just look weird.  2014.  Much more pleasing to the eye.

Fireworks are an aspect of NYE that terrify me.  Without a doubt I partly inherited this fear from my mother. But maybe the fear also comes from watching a Mississippi River barge literally CATCH on fire and explode when I was like 12, which is why I spend each New Years on edge, hiding behind chairs and people.  But hey, as long as my outfit is cute, I'm not complaining.

I've been looking at holiday dresses, and the excuse to drench myself in sequins and glitter really does excite me.  New Years is the one time audacity isn't required to look like a discoball.  You're almost a weirdo if you don't.  But NOTH-ING is worse than the I-grabbed-everything-sparkly-in-my-closet look, which we all know too well.  I'm cringing.  I feel like it's time to ditch the purple sequin shorts, silver sequin tops and N E W Y E A R headpieces and glasses thrown up by unicorns for pretty deep blues, dark vegan leathers and tulles, or even better, classic black.  That I'm definitely down for.  Now I'm not saying sequins are a no-go--I'm sure I'll wear them in some form.  It's New Years...we all have to shine a little bit, but scaling back a little wouldn't hurt anyone.  Stick to one outstanding piece and let it shine solo-style.

Here are a few items that have caught my eye and made me feel sparkly inside: